New: Be sure to check out our NPC video player for videos from the latest NPC events.
Media highlights from NPC events.
- Growing suburb poverty, a Michigan Radio interview with Scott Allard.
Listen to the audio (10:24)
- Poverty and Antipoverty Policies Before and After the Great Recession by Sheldon Danziger. Presented at the Shepherd Higher Education Consortium on Poverty Symposia on Aug. 8, 2012.
Watch the video (YouTube)
- Video/Transcript: Insufficient Funds: Savings, Assets, Credit and Banking Among Low-Income Households
- More than Just Race: Being Black and Poor in the Inner City by William Julius Wilson, Harvard University.
Watch the video (59:00)
Listen to the audio (59:00)
- Podcast: Changing Poverty by Sheldon Danziger, University of Michigan. Weekly Podcast from the University of Michigan's News Service for the week of June 22, 2009.
- Working after Welfare: How Women Balance Jobs and Family in the Wake of Welfare Reform by Kristin Seefeldt, University of Michigan. Presented February 11, 2009 at the Joan and Sanford Weill Hall, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy.
Watch the video (1:30:00)
Listen to the audio (1:30:00)
- Charting a Course for the Next Generation by Marian Wright Edelman, founder and president of the Children's Defense Fund. Presented January, 2009 at the Michigan Union Ballroom. This event was hosted as part of the University of Michigan's 2009 Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. Symposium.
Watch the video (1:23:00)
- “Measuring and Understanding Poverty in the U.S.” by Sheldon Danziger, University of Michigan. Presented June 24, 2008 at the University of Michigan as part of the Annual NPC Summer Workshop.
Download Presentation Slides.
- “Immigration and Poverty” by Steven Raphael, University of California, Berkeley. Presented June 23, 2008 at the University of Michigan as part of the Annual NPC Summer Workshop.
Download Presentation Slides.
- The Missing Class: Portraits of the Near Poor in America. Professor Newman is the author, with Victor Tan Chen, of The Missing Class: Portraits of the Near Poor in America (Beacon Press). February 6, 2008.
Watch the video (1:12:00)
- Jobs and Housing: Trust, Distrust, and Social Class in the Black Community. Hosted as part of the University of Michigan's 2008 Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. Symposium. Speakers include Mary Pattillo, Sandra S. Smith, and David Harding. Event is co-sponsored by the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy and Students of Color in Public Policy. January 21st, 2008.
Watch the video (1:50:00)
- Danziger and Schoeni discuss poverty, income data in U.S. Census Bureau report. U-M experts available to discuss poverty, income data in U.S. Census Bureau report. August 22nd, 2007.
Watch the video (2:00)
- Making low-wage jobs family friendly: An oxymoron or cutting edge? Part II. CLASP conference featuring NPC Assistant Director Kristin Seefeldt. April 6th, 2007.
Listen to the audio
- "Making America Stronger: U.S. Food Stamp Program." Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
- "Higher Ground: New Hope for the Working Poor and their Children." Greg Duncan, Edwina S. Tarry Professor, School of Education and Social Policy, Faculty Fellow, Institute for Policy Research, Northwestern University. March 15, 2007.
Watch the video (1:30:02)
- "Work Over Welfare: The Inside Story of the 1996 Welfare Reform Law." Ron Haskins, The Brookings Institution. January 31, 2007.
Watch the video (1:09:22)
- "Who helps the poor? Ten Years after Welfare Reform" Sheldon Danziger, Ford School of Public Policy, Research Professor, Population Studies Center. September 4, 2006.
Watch the video (2:08)
- 8/21/06 – Ten years ago this week, President Clinton signed a welfare reform act. The goal was to move people from welfare to work – and the number of people on the rolls dropped dramatically. But a decade later, how is welfare reform working for the needy – and for the country? Michigan Radio’s Jack Lessenberry spoke with Kristin Seefeldt. She is Assistant Director of the National Poverty Center at the University of Michigan.
Listen to the audio (7:09)
- "In Our Hands: A Plan to Replace the Welfare State." Charles
Murray, W.H. Brady Fellow, American Enterprise Institute. April 3, 2006.
Watch the video (44:05)
- "America's Persisting Poverty." Sheldon Danziger, Henry J. Meyer Distinguished University Professor of Public Policy and Research Professor at the Population Studies Center. February 21, 2006.
Watch the video (1:04:00)
- "European Union Social Policy in a Global Context." Sir Tony Atkinson, Nuffield College, Oxford. Citigroup Lecture Series. Keynote address for the conference: "Changing Social Policies for Low-Income Families and Less-Skilled Workers in the European Union and the U.S." April 7, 2005.
Watch the video (1:30:50)
- "Why Poor Women Put Motherhood before Marriage."Kathryn Edin, Associate Professor of Sociology, University of Pennsylvania; Maria Kefalas, Assistant Professor of Sociology at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia.
Watch the video (1:26:00)
- "American Dream: Three Women, Ten Kids, and a Nation's Drive to End Welfare." September 28, 2004. Jason DeParle of the New York Times. Remarks by U-M professors Sandra K. Danziger and Alford Young, Jr. Moderated by Professor Sheldon Danziger. http://www.jasondeparle.com.
Watch the video (1:00:58)
- New Findings on Poverty and Public Policy. June 24, 2003